[OS X TeX] Re: Save date-time, not Print date

Douglas Philips dgou at mac.com
Sun Jan 7 20:47:48 CET 2007

On 2007 Jan 7, at 11:17 AM, George Gratzer indited:
> Why desperate? This thread really shows the best and the worst of
> this discussion group.

Well, because the answers were along the lines of "TeX can't do that,
so you shouldn't want it, you should
want <something else> instead."

> But why use TeX for version control? I assume all of you back up. I
> backup many times a day with Retrospect. It requires one click, and
> it happens in the background. If I want to know the source or the
> pdf file of my project on December 5, I get it with very little
> work, I just have to pick from the 4 or 5 backups of the day.
>
> Am I missing something?

I think so... backups and version control (while related to each
other, are themselves not the same) aren't the issue...  It isn't
(for me) about going to back to an old version, it is about already
having an old version and wanting to be able to capture that in a
current TeX run.

--Doug