[OS X TeX] Re: Save date-time, not Print date

Douglas Philips dgou at mac.com
Sat Jan 6 06:21:40 CET 2007

On 2007 Jan 5, at 11:57 PM, Victor Ivrii indited:
> On 1/6/07, Alain Schremmer <Schremmer.Alain> wrote:
>> Paul Smyth wrote:
>> > Why not just hard-code the date in the document?
>>
>> Because
>>
>> Errare humanum est.
>>
>> Specifically, I would forget to put the date in when I thought I was
>> done, I would forget to take it out/change it when making a later
>> change, etc. It would be a complete mess. That's why I like
>> computers.
>> They are dependably dumb.

> I am not sure why one needs to know the date when foo.tex was modified
> (and actually this is given by either UNIX ls -l or just Mac OS info)
> unless it is a milestone. But if it is a milestone (say draft-3) I
> would save it under the name foo-draft-3_2007_01_06.tex and never edit
> again.

Because one wants to know, from the .PDF or .PS (or even .DVI) what
was the date of the .tex file that produced this? Of course if your
main .tex just \inputs the world, that won't matter, but for a lot of
us working on smaller than tome sized documents/books, it would be
VERY handy.

--Doug