[OS X TeX] Use of nomencl with TeXShop

Joshua Smith joshua.smith at ucsf.edu
Fri Jan 5 23:30:03 CET 2007

On Jan 5, 2007, at 2:23 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2007, at 4:16 PM, Christian Burk wrote:
>
>> Thanks a bunch Josh, but I need some help more... ;)
>>
>> I would like to oranize it in an extra file called
>> "nomenclature.tex" and using \include get it into the entire
>> document.
>> Now I tried in the masterdocument, where the preamble is the
>> following (additionaly to the other packages of course):
>> -----
>> \usepackage{nomencl}
>> 	\makenomenclature
>> -----
>>
>> then...
>>
>> -----
>> \include {0x_nomenclatur/nomenclature.tex}
>> -----
>>
>> and then further down...
>>
>> -----
>> \printnomenclature
>> -----
>>
>> But this seems not to work.
>
> I don't believe that is the intention of the nomencl package. You
> should include the \nomenclature command just after introducing the
> idea and all of that data is gathered and a Nomenclature is
> generated at the end of the document with the \printnomenclature
> command.

I agree with Herb.  What you want may be possible, but I don't know
how you would do it.

Also consider, if you want to get fancy, you can set up the
nomenclature so that the equation or page in which the symbol is
defined is listed within the definition, but you will need to
\nomenclature the symbol near where it is introduced.  This is
explained in the nomencl package documentation.  You can even have
that page or equation number hyperlinked, if you use the hyperref
package.

Josh