[OS X TeX] How to save a complete TeX tree

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Jan 5 01:32:55 CET 2007

Before retiring it completely I would like to archive my teTeX-based
TeX install, namely the whole of /usr/local/teTeX. I probably won't
use it ever again, but I'd prefer to have it archived somewhere just
in case.

In order for the archive to be useful, I imagine the files
(especially the binaries) must be saved with correct ownership and
permission, and with symlinks preserved. Hence the following
question: what's the best way to ensure that ownership and
permission, and symlinks, will be correct within an archive:

- Use Disk Utility to create a .dmg disk image of /usr/local/teTeX?

- Use the Finder to create a .zip archive of /usr/local/teTeX?

- Use in Terminal some combination of tar and gzip or bzip2 to create
an archive of /usr/local/teTeX? If so, which invocation? Would the
following work and preserve ownership and permission and symlinking:

	tar zcvf ~/Desktop/Archived-teTeX /usr/local/teTeX
	tar jcvf ~/Desktop/Archived-teTeX /usr/local/teTeX

where the first invocation would use gzip and the second bzip2?

Bruno Voisin