[OS X TeX] Use of nomencl with TeXShop

Joshua Smith joshua.smith at ucsf.edu
Thu Jan 4 20:31:34 CET 2007

On Jan 4, 2007, at 2:32 AM, Christian Burk wrote:

> I try to use the package nomencl to create a list of explanations
> for mathematical terms.
>
> The version of nomencl.sty is v4.1.
>
> [snip]
>
> I have these files: the *.nlo in my project folder and the
> nomencl.ist in the downloaded nomecl-folder on my desktop. But
> where do I have to put these files that TeXShop will find it?

If you are using the latest installation of gwTeX, version 4.2 of
nomencl is included with TeX Live by default.  What you need is an
engine within TeXShop to process your nomenclature.  Within ~/Library/
TeXShop/Engines, duplicate XeTeX.engine and rename it
MakeNomenclature.engine (or something similar). Open the file with
your favorite text editor and replace the contents with

#!/bin/sh

bfname=$(dirname "$1")/"`basename "$1" .tex`"
makeindex "$bfname".nlo -s nomencl.ist -o "$bfname".nls

Save the file and restart TeXShop.  In the drop down menu next to
Typeset, you should see MakeNomenclature (or whatever you called
it).  Choose that and hit Typeset.

I think that should be all that you need.

Josh