[OS X TeX] Problems with permissions using i-Installer

Martin Buchmann Martin.Buchmann at uni-jena.de
Thu Jan 4 16:52:04 CET 2007

Hi :-)

I haven't been subscribed to this list for while so first I want to say
hello again to everybody.

I have some problems with the new gwTeX I installed on my system
(ppc/10.4.8) a few days before. As far as I can tell there is something
screwed up with the permissions and the linking from /usr/texbin to the
actual binaries.

I tried to re-created the links according to the structure described in
/Library/TeX/Distributions/TeXDist-description.rtf but it is quite some
work and not really working. The whole concept is still very new to me
and leaves me with some problems: If I try to invoke latex from the
command line I get

/usr/local/gwTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0/latex: Permission denied

> metallw08:/usr/local/gwTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0 Martin$ ll latex
>
> ls: latex: Permission denied
> lrwxr-x---   1 root  staff  7  4 Jan 15:57 latex@

I have /usr/texbin in my path:

lrwxr-xr-x     1 root    wheel      66  4 Jan 16:09 texbin@ ->
../Library/TeX/Distributions/.DefaultTeX/Contents/Programs/powerpc

before this link was broken too because of the wrong permissions. I
deleted it and recreated it using ln -s. I tried to change the
permissions using 'sudo chmod' but this did work on links even with the
'-L -R' options. I guess I am missing some basic Unix-knowledge here :-(

Basically, my problem comes down to two parts:

1.) How can i fix the broken links easily, and

2.) Why is i-Installer not able to set things up correctly in the first
place? Re-installing/configuring isn't working. So I'm lost without a
working TeX after all the years i-Installer was doing so well :-(

Any help is appreciated
   Martin

--
Linux bietet Lösungen für Probleme unter Windows, die mit MacOS X gar
nicht erst auftreten.