[OS X TeX] Indexing with Diacritics

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Wed Jan 3 19:45:53 CET 2007

Until now, the most convenient way I have found to make an index in
French with é, è, ç, à, ù, ï characters is to revert to Mac OS 9
(Classic) and to use the old Makeindex application (which had the
ability of dealing with diacritics ten years ago...). (I still have a
PPC computer.)

Unfortunately, when TeXShop/LaTeX creates a .idx file, it replaces,
on its own initiative, é è ç à ù ï with \'e \`e \c c \`a \ù and \IeC
{\"\i } (!).

So, before being able to compile the index, I have to restore the
original accented characters and to change the Unix file into a Mac
OS 9 readable file. (There is nothing to do for the way back.) I
would like to automate the processs. So,

- does anybody knows a mean to prevent TeXShop/LATeX from changing
the accented characters into TeX macros ? or a small utility which
undoes LATeX's work and restores the accented characters ?

- does anybody knows a small utility which transform a Unix-Mac OSX
file into a Mac OS 9 one ?

Thanks,

André Bellaïche