[OS X TeX] TeXLive 2006 (MacTeX) is not detected...

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Jan 3 17:03:24 CET 2007

Am 03.01.2007 um 16:09 schrieb Jean-Claude DE SOZA:

> I thought we must put  ./  and not just a dot.  Am I wrong?

That's two different things, like riding a bike and riding (on) a
train. The bike ride is for free, you just put the insecure ``.´´ as
one element into the PATH value. The command-from-here is found. If
you want more comfort and speed and a Mac on your lap you take the
train and pay for a ticket. And the ticket is: ./ – ./ here helps the
shell interpreter to find the command following, because ./ says:
right here on the spot. ./ is here part of the path-to-the-command.
Every path specification that starts with a ``.´´ introduces a
*relative* path (from here) and has to be followed by ``/´´ – or it
would be something different (as in .., which is one level above and
is also relative). (An *absolute* path starts with /. ~<user name> is
another example of an absolute path.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

When people run around and around in circles we say they are crazy.
When planets do it we say they are orbiting.