[OS X TeX] lucida fonts problems

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Tue Jan 2 06:33:45 CET 2007

On Dec 30, 2006, at 15:10, Piet van Oostrum wrote:

First, sorry for taking so long to reply.

[...]

>> AER> I have my Lucida fonts and lucida.map in ~/Library/texmf, and I
>> AER> always use
>
>> AER> sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map
>
>> AER> As far as I know, ``updmap --enable Map lucida.map'' (without
>> ``sudo  '')
>> AER> will create the dreaded web2c folder in ~/Library/texmf
>
> If the files are in ~/Library/texmf then you are the only user in the
> system that can use them, because other users have no access to the
> files
> in your home directory (by default).

Yes, I'm the only user that can use the fonts I have in my Home tree,
but as I'm the only user in my computer it hasn't been a problem so far.

> So it doesn't make sense to have references to these files
> somewhere in /usr/local. Therefore I think the proper place to have
> these references is in ~/Library/texmf
> --
> Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>

This would be the reasonable thing to do, but I'm really afraid of
the web2c directory in my Home tree. Back in the days of the
introduction of updmap-sys, I caused such havoc in my installation
when running updmap instead of updmap-sys that, when I finally got a
stable system, you and Peter Dyballa helped me to move it from my
desktop to my laptop (making a .tar in one machine and untaring in
the other).

Of course the sensible thing is to move almost everything from ~/
Library/texmf to texmf.local, and I'm starting to do it.

Thank you and happy new year.

Axel