[OS X TeX] Moving local stuff from teTeX to gwTex

Stephen Anderson stephen.anderson at yale.edu
Tue Jan 2 02:22:25 CET 2007

I just got a new MacBook Pro (replacing an old PowerBook), and I'm
trying to recover a useful TeX environment.  I installed the current
gwTeX i-package, along with everything else, on the new machine.
Then I tried to move the stuff in my old /usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.local/ directory to the corresponding places in the gwtex
texmf.local directory.  Ran texhash.  What I'm most concerned to get
back is the Adobe Garamond fonts.  But now TeXShop complains that

kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1+57/600 --
dpi 657 padr8r--base
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for padr8r--base.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
/usr/local/gwTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current/dvips: Font padr8r--
base not found, characters will be left blank.
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1+57/600 --
dpi 657 padri8r--base
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for padri8r--base.
/usr/local/gwTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current/dvips: Font padri8r--
base not found, characters will be left blank.

so I must have done something wrong.

I know there's been a huge amount of discussion of these matters on
this list recently, and if I searched diligently I am sure I would
find out just how to migrate from my trustworthy old tetex-based
installation to the modern world, but since I have to get this in
order really soon, I'm hoping someone will indulge me and give me a
recipe...

Thanks very much in advance,

--
Steve Anderson