[OS X TeX] apacite on stock MacTeX install -- working?

brian at pongonova.net brian at pongonova.net
Wed Feb 28 16:26:03 CET 2007

I'm trying to get apacite to work with a stock MacTeX install on my
iBook.  It's been frustrating, to say the least :)  Lots of
conflicting information about what directories need to be under
~/Library/texmf to make this work, but this is what some trial and
error has led me to:

~/Library/texmf/bibtex/dissertation.bib
~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst/apacite.{bst|sty}
~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/apacite/

Pertinent TeX info:

\documentclass[12pt,english]{report}
\usepackage{times}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage{geometry}
\geometry{verbose,letterpaper,tmargin=1in,bmargin=1in,lmargin=1.5in,rmargin=1in}
\setcounter{secnumdepth}{3}
\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}

\makeatletter
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% User specified LaTeX commands.
%% \usepackage{dissertation}

%\usepackage{babel}
\makeatother
\begin{document}
\tableofcontents{}
blah blah blah \cite{Alastuey2004}
blah blah blah
\bibliographystyle{apacite}
\bibliography{dissertation}

After the LaTeX/BibTeX/LaTeX sequence, this is the error I'm getting:

(Unable to copy and paste from TeXShop console, so this is a close
rendition)

(./dissertation.bbl[24]
! Undefined control sequence
<argument> \protect \cite authoryear
        {Alastuey}{Alastuey}{{\protect\APACyear...
I.10 Alastuey2004}
        %
?

Any bones someone can throw me to get this to work?

  --Brian