[OS X TeX] Where to put file like "longdiv.tex"?

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Wed Feb 28 15:50:10 CET 2007

At 9:39 AM -0500 2/28/07, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>Herbert Schulz wrote:
>>If it is a file that can also be used with Plain TeX (that is
>>usually  the case with macro files that are .tex rather than .sty)
>>I'd put it in
>>
>>/sw/etc/texmf.local/tex/generic/
>>
>>but, if you're going to use it with LaTeX only putting it in
>>
>>/sw/etc/texmf.local/tex/latex/misc/
>>
>>is fine. Remember to run texhash.
>
>Any difference between "run[ning] texhash" (I assume from the
>terminal) and LaTeXing from TeXShop?

Apples and oranges.  texhash is the utility that recreates the lists
of files that the tex distribution knows about (i.e. if you've added
something new, it updates things so that tex programs can find it.)

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491