[OS X TeX] Where to put file like "longdiv.tex"?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Feb 28 15:24:28 CET 2007

On Feb 27, 2007, at 11:26 PM, John B. Thoo wrote:

> Hi.  I'm sorry to bother y'all with what is surely a FAQ, but....
> I have Fink teTeX installed.
>
> When I grab a .sty file from CTAN, I put it in
>
> /sw/etc/texmf.local/tex/latex/misc/
>
> I just grabbed the file "longdiv.tex" from CTAN.
>
> <http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/generic/misc/longdiv.tex>
>
> Where should I put it?  Thanks.
>
> ---John.
> (who receives the digest)

Howdy,

If it is a file that can also be used with Plain TeX (that is usually
the case with macro files that are .tex rather than .sty) I'd put it in

/sw/etc/texmf.local/tex/generic/

but, if you're going to use it with LaTeX only putting it in

/sw/etc/texmf.local/tex/latex/misc/

is fine. Remember to run texhash.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)