[OS X TeX] Suggestion for TeXShop

Ralph Martin Ralph.Martin at cs.cardiff.ac.uk
Tue Feb 27 14:36:43 CET 2007

On 27 Feb 2007, at 10:41:34AM, S P Suresh wrote:

> On 27-Feb-07, at 27 Feb,2:53 , Ralph Martin wrote:
>> Often, TeX warnings can be quite significant things that really do
>> need fixing up (e.g. overfull hboxes), and this facility would
>> make it easier to find and fix such problems.

> In this case, is PDF synchronization not help enough? Because
> anyway, one has to make a pass looking for bad breaks, and would
> usually be able to spot all but the minutest of overfull hboxes.
> But I agree that you wouldn't be able to get the exact spot in the
> source, since most of the overfull hboxes occur in the mathematics.
> You can go to the vicinity of the crime in the source, though.
> Don't know if you'd find it helpful enough.

Well, that can be very hard to spot on a page which ONLY has maths on
it for example.

But the real point was this was just an example.

Another type of problem which this would help solve is represented by
LaTeX Warning: Label `whatever' multiply defined.
While you CAN do a manual search, you first have to read the log (and
most of my students do not...) and then cut and paste the error into
the find box. A one button solution which would solve these cases
would be helpful. (Clearly, this kind of warning refers to a small
number of lines, so it is not quite as trivial as "goto line
containing next warning").

Perhaps it is too tricky to come up with a generic solution, but
there is perhaps a "top ten" list of things like these where
automatic help in locating the problems would take teXShop to the
next level of user friendliness, in my opinion.

Best wishes

Ralph
--
Prof Ralph Martin           Phone: +44(0)29 2087 5536
School of Computer Science  Fax:   +44(0)29 2087 4598
Cardiff University          Email: mailto:ralph at cs.cf.ac.uk
5 The Parade, Roath         WWW:   http://ralph.cs.cf.ac.uk/
Cardiff, CF24 3AA, UK       VOIP:  sip:17476235487 at proxy01.sipphone.com