[OS X TeX] MacTeX - a few questions

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Feb 24 12:18:33 CET 2007

Le 24 févr. 07 à 11:04, Daniel Becker a écrit :

> **** I used to install gwtex in expert mode. There where many
> decisions I had to take. Am I correct that mactex installs
> everything with the idea of "you get everything" and if if I feel
> the need for example for full font-inclusion, I run the configure
> stage via iinstaller that is still used to take care of my
> installation in the background? But where a the i-packages for
> mactex/texlive2007?
>
> Maybe it is an misunderstanding and it is not possible to configure
> mactex as I was used to with gwtex? Is this then one of the reasons
> to use gwtex instead of mactex/texlive?

No, you can't use i-Installer to configure a TeXLive-2007 setup, as i-
Installer does for gwTeX. Instead, you have to run the related
command-line utilities and/or edit the related configuration files by
hand. That's a pain.

I hoped that the TeX Distribution system preference panel would be
enhanced to become a TeX Configuration panel, and provide a GUI
(similar to that of i-Installer) for the various configuration tasks
(choice of hyphenation patterns to include, of formats to build, of
map file fragments to include, choice of font inclusion, and so
forth). Alas, I'm no developer myself and can't help, and nobody took
up the challenge so far.

Bruno Voisin