[OS X TeX] flexible space

Sergei Mariev sergei.mariev at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Feb 22 19:30:35 CET 2007

Dear all,

I am trying to achieve flexible space on both sides of the colon. I
use it in critical notes in the footnotes where there are often not
enough words in a line to achieve optimal distribution of words. As a
result, when LaTex encounters a colon with a white speace preceeding
and following it, it "takes advantage" of it to stretch the line as
far as possible. The result is not always satisfactory, as the the
space after the colon sometimes appears bigger than the one
preceeding the colon:

word word word : word word word
word word word    :      word word word

I need to define a flexible space to allow equal stretching on both
sides of the colon, but the line break only after the colon.

I would appreciate any advice!

Kidn regards,

Sergei Mariev