[OS X TeX] Hyperlink failure with TeXShop and Preview

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Feb 22 18:14:19 CET 2007

Le 22 févr. 07 à 17:35, Roussanka Loukanova a écrit :

> BTW, what do you use Microsoft and Office for: perhaps they are
> good for some specific tasks? I've been thinking to try to solicit
> money from the dept for iWorks, but am reluctant before 10.5,
> hoping that 10.5 would come bundled with something, at least
> equivalent, if not better.

- Word: to collaborate writing research proposals; to read notes
received from admin sources, which often come as .doc files; to
complete forms, which also often come as .doc files. Trying to
educate the senders so that they use PDF or ODF formats is just not
worth the effort currently. Hopefully things will change, but for the
moment admin people (at least in my experience) seem to think
objecting to MS Office documents just signals you're either pedantic
or have too much free time in your hands.

- Excel: to read and fill in spreadsheets, also coming from admin
sources.

- PowerPoint: to collaborate preparing presentations, for example the
presentation of my research group for the four-year assessment of my
department. Plus, most of the time conferences request Powerpoint
format, only accepting PDF as second-best option.

OpenOffice.org is OK for working on your own, but generally it fails
when dealing with Office files coming from outside. For example, .doc
files containing tables of any reasonable complexity generally come
out wrong in OOo, page breaks are changed, and so forth. Plus, I
won't consider using OOo myself until a native Aqua version is
available (which is supposed to come out soon).

I do use iWork, especially Keynote, but:

- Keynote presentations are generally not accepted at conferences
(Maarten Sneep recently said the APS accepts them IIRC, but that's an
exception). You need to prepare a PDF or PowerPoint version.

- Pages is good for short notes with emphasis on presentation, not
structure. It's no good currently for structured documents, with
several imbricated section levels (chapters, sections, subsections,
etc.). You cannot customize really the presentation or content of the
table of contents; you cannot define different formats for different
sections (such as section 1 in portrait mode, section 2 in landscape
mode, etc.); and so forth. Plus, in my experience Pages has *many* bugs.

Bruno