[OS X TeX] problem with XeConTeXt.engine

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Feb 22 14:57:19 CET 2007

Am 22.02.2007 um 13:54 schrieb Jelle Huisman:

> Is there a way to check the validity of engine-files, maybe I have
> broken one of the rules, but I don't know where to look...

Yes, it's very, very simple:

	• if you didn't do already, make the engine file an executable
(chmod a+x <engine file name>)
	• invoke on the command line: <path to engine file>/<engine file>
<your XeConTeXt file>
	• invoke on the command line: 'echo $PATH'
	• invoke on the command line: 'which texexec'
	• invoke on the command line: 'texexec --version'
	• add these three command lines also to your engine file before the
texexec line and execute it once from the command line *and* a second
time from TeXShop and compare all three outputs!

Could be you access two different TeX installations. Could be that
TeXShop creates a faulty runtime environment because you set a faulty
path value to TeX binaries in its preferences!

If your own RC files (for setting up login and other shells) are
faulty, you can add '-f' as an option to tcsh. It then won't read
~/.cshrc or ~/.tcshrc and might do what you intend ... (there is
still ~/.login!)

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Computers are good at following instructions,
but not at reading your mind."
D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9