[OS X TeX] MacTeX (here,there,and everywhere)

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Wed Feb 21 23:58:29 CET 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Salvatore Enrico Indiogine wrote:

> Dear Gerben WIerda:
>
> On 21/02/07, Gerben Wierda <Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl> wrote:
>> No. gwTeX is based on TeX Live 2007 (and will follow possible updates
>> to the TL repository). TL2006 was renamed to TL2007 and there is no
>> TL2006. I should change the info.
>>
>> There is no more teTeX based material in gwTeX.
>>
>> gwTeX 2003-2005 = your choice of:
>>         TeX Live 2003 for binaries + teTeX 2 for the texmf tree + extras
>> (for backward compatbility with older projects)
>>         TeX Live 2004 for binaries + teTeX 3 for the texmf tree + extras
>>         TeX Live 2005 for binaries + teTeX 3 for the texmf tree + extras
>>         [ All these install in /usr/local/teTeX and all of this is no
>> longer
>> maintained or supported ]
>> gwTeX = subset of TeX Live (2007) + a few small additions (in the
>> texmf.gwtex tree)
>>         [ This installs in /usr/local/gwTeX and is still maintained but not
>> supported ]
>
> Please tell me what the 'best' or at least most updated, installation
> of LaTeX for TexShop on OSX 10.4 intel should be.  Where can we obtain
> it?
>
> I am an OSX and LaTeX newbie.

I installed i-Installer and then gwTeX with i-Installer by following
<http://ii2.sourceforge.net/>
and the detailed information on
<http://ii2.sourceforge.net/tex-index.html>

I also installed

<MacTeX_Additions.dmg> and <TeXLive-2007.dmg (full TeXLive...) from
<http://www.tug.org/~koch/NewPackages.html>

(Note that MacTeX_Additions.dmg installs also i-Installer and you can get
gwTeX from that website too.)

After that updates are very easy for MacTeX_Additions + TeXLive-2007 and
i-Installer + gwTeX.

You can use the pane
[System Preferences -> TeX Distribution]
to switch between gwTeX and TeXLive-2007 instantly.

Installing only i-Installer + gwTeX + the additional i-Packages
recommended on <http://ii2.sourceforge.net/tex-index.html> may be
completely sufficient for you.

Roussanka