[OS X TeX] i-Installer vs MacTeX

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Feb 21 04:41:01 CET 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 9:17 PM, Dima wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm new user to macs and Tex. I currently have the i-Installer version
> of TeX (I dunno what the proper distribution called) are there any
> reasons why I would want to switch to MacTeX. I have tried both
> TeXshop, iTeXMac2 as well as texmaker, and have no compiling problems
> with my current TeX.

Howdy,

Assuming you've got the latest gwTeX distribution there is no need to
change; you've got an up to date TeX distribution that has just about
anything  you need 99.9% of the time. It's smaller than the full TeX
Live distribution but you can always get anything you might miss from
your closest CTAN site. Gerben has done a marvelous job of switching
from teTeX (binaries from TeX Live) with additions to the equivalent
distribution directly from TeX Live.

If you got your distribution from the older teTeX based one or as
part of the MacTeX distribution from last year you should consider
updating to the latest gwTeX. It can be done easily via i-installer.
If you are compiling fine with TeXShop take a look at TeXShop-
 >Preferences->Engine Path setting for (pdf)TeX; if it's /usr/texbin
then you've got the latest version.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)