[OS X TeX] final tex live 2007

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 00:30:44 CET 2007

Richard Koch wrote:

> Mark,
>
> On Feb 20, 2007, at 10:56 AM, M A wrote:
>
>> Now that Tex Live 2007 is official (as of the last day or so), I'm
>> thinking of installing it
>>
>> 1. Is the Tex Live 2007 at http://www.tug.org/~koch/NewPackages.html
>> the same as the one from CTAN?
>

> They are the same.
>
>> 2. How literally true is "unmodified" in the "full TeXLive
>> distribution from TUG, unmodified, 618.4 MB" statement at ~koch? The
>> CTAN package is some 900MB, but the koch one is 600MB. Is this only
>> because non-Mac platform specific stuff was removed (and some
>> compression differences between dmg and zip)? Would the installs from
>> either source really result in exactly the same set-up with respect to
>> binaries linked from /usr/texbin, the maze of links in /Library, the
>> distribution preference pane, TEXMFHOME being ~/Library/texmf (I
>> thought Tex Live uses something like ~/tex by default?), etc?
>

> The MacTeX TeXLive-2007 package is constructed by installing the full
> TeXLive-2007
> with only two changes from the default configuration:
>
> 1) Binaries for both PowerPC and Intel are installed (but of course not
> binaries for irrelevant processors)
>
> 2) The local texmf tree set to ~/Library/texmf rather than the default
> /texmf.
> This is because Apple design guidelines do not allow programs to install
> files at the top level of the user's home directory and because ~/
> Library/texmf
> has become the customary place for the local tree on the Mac.
>
> There are several reasons that it is better to install with MacTeX
> rather than the
> TeXLive install script:
>
> 1) After the TeXLive install script runs, it prints a message telling the
> user to adjust their PATH variable appropriately. But the MacTeX package
> adjusts both PATH and MAN parameters automatically.
> PATHs are adjusted by modifying /etc/csh.login and /etc/profile using
> exactly
> the script Gerben Wierda uses in i-Installer (i.e., we stole his
> script). If
> a user doesn't install with MacTeX and instead modifies local shell
> configuration files, their old PATH configuration via Gerben will
> remain in place with possibly confusing results.
>
> 2) The TeXLive install script does not install the data structure by
> Gerben Wierda and Jerome Laurens supporting multiple TeX distributions
> on a machine, and it does not install Jerome's TeX Distribution control
> panel. But MacTeX installs these things.
>
> If you install using the TeXLive install script, you need to configure
> GUI applications
> by giving the new path to binaries, which will be /usr/local/texlive/
> 2007/bin/i386-darwin
> (replace i386 with powerpc if you have that processor).
>
> If you install using MacTeX, you also need to reconfigure GUI
> applications. This time
> [...]

This is the "cookbook" I had been waiting for all along :-) . (As a
result, I am now thinking about, actually even seriously considering,
upgrading.) However:

a) I am still on 10.3.9 and will upgrade to 10.4.x some time after
Leopard has made its entrance, say in late summer. How does this mesh
with the above? Specifically: if I upgrade via MacTex now, while still
on 10.3.9, what will happen when I upgrade to 10.4.x? Will I have to
reinstall MacTeX?

b) Since I am using "letter", does this mean I won't have anything to do
with the terminal? And, what if my printer doesn't understand what it is
commanded to do?

Once again, the above "explanations" are (almost) install-idiot
proof—and I know thereof I am speaking: if it hadn't been for their
equivalent a couple of years ago, I would still be swearing at MS Word
or, a lot more probably, would have quit writing entirely.

Very, very grateful regards.
--schremmer