[OS X TeX] TexShop Configuration

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Feb 20 18:57:37 CET 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 11:26 AM, S P Suresh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the prompt reply. I edited the xelatexmk.engine and
> pdflatexmk.engine files by adding a -f, and now there is no problem
> when I typeset a document which doesn't (yet!) have a \cite. (Is it
> okay to always use the -f option?) About the other error regarding
> the bib files, sorry to have given you the wrong impression. The
> tests that I reported in the previous mail were carried out on the
> command line. There is a different (positive) message when I use
> pdflatexmk in TeXShop. I  have the latest version of your engines
> (the ones that come with the latest TeXLive-2007 MacTeX package),
> and I saw the relevant piece of code in pdflatexmk.engine:
>    export BIBINPUTS=${BIBINPUTS}:`kpsewhich --show-path=bib`

Howdy,

I'm not sure if there is a problem with the -f option; I guess I'd
worry about an infinite loop if an error is critical but you've
already run into that and the Abort button works just fine :-). If
you run into that please let me know.

The added line should be

export BIBINPUTS=${BIBINPUTS}:`kpsewhich --show-path=bib | sed -e "s/
\!\!//g"`

(notice the extra pipe to sed to clean out leading !! which only have
meaning to kpsewhich). Time to update your engines again :-).

> Thanks for all the help, again. So apart from latexmk looping when
> it meets beamer, and the number of runs with endnotes, there are no
> issues as of now.

That's always nice to hear.

> BTW, I downloaded and installed rubber. Thanks for leading me
> there! I also noticed that the developer of rubber works in a lab
> with whom we have some ties. Maybe I will run into him one of these
> days. That would be a nice coincidence!
>
> Cheers,
> Suresh
>
> S P Suresh
> Chennai Mathematical Institute
> India

I still haven't played with rubber. I seem to get bogged down trying
to add dependencies for some packages (e.g., multibib) that aren't
supported by latexmk and the documentation seems a bit too vague for
me to figure out how to do that. I think I've got to read more about
`make'.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)