[OS X TeX] Bibliography as section heading

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Tue Feb 6 18:21:55 CET 2007

At 10:57 AM -0500 2/6/07, Chabot Denis wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm writing a report using the article class. I
>use sections, subsections and subsubsections.
>
>I made a section titled "6 RÉFÉRENCES". My
>section headings are numbered and in all caps.
>I'm not at ease enough to have modified things
>so that I'd type my headings in normal text and
>they'd be capitalized automatically, I simply
>typed them in all capitals.
>
>After I format my bibliography (using natbib and
>a home-made style created with makebst), I also
>automatically get a heading called "Références",
>the french no doubt a courtesy of babel.
>
>I don't know the "level" of this heading, but I
>know it does not appear in the TOC, where my
>sub- and subsubsections do appear. Maybe it is a
>section* (but what about the lack of a number??).
>
>It is not very pretty to have these 2 headings for my bibliography!
>
>I need to either suppress the automatic one
>generated by natbib (presumably), or to be able
>to modify it so that it is a true numbered
>section heading and is capitalized. It seems the
>former approach is simpler, but then you could
>surprise me!

I recommend that you do this the automatic  (dare
I say proper ;-)) way, with two simple commands
and the titlesec package (so you should change
your manually typed uppercase titles back to
normal).  The first command is  a titlesec
command to make the title uppercase; the second
command makes the bibliography a regular numbered
section.  Add babel to make the references
acquire their accents.

\usepackage{titlesec}
\usepackage{natbib}

\titleformat*{\section}{\bfseries\Large\MakeUppercase}
\renewcommand{\bibsection}{\section{\refname}}

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491