[OS X TeX] Leopard Quick Look & TeX

Thomas Rike tricycle222 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 26 07:53:58 CET 2007

On Dec 24, 2007, at 11:20 AM, Gedalin Michael wrote:

>> I tried changing the info.plist for TeX.mdimporter to conform to
>> public.plain-text, but it does not change to active with a rebuild
>> and
>> when the computer restarts, no Quick Look for .tex etc. I removed
>> Spotlight folder entirely from the TexShop contents Library, but
>> Quick
>> Look would not come back after a restart. It is does now remain after
>> a logout, login.
>
> Is it possible that another application defines uti for the
> tag .tex ? I had to remove iTeXMac  since it was assigning its own
> uti to tex files and this definition took precedence.

Yes, it is quite possible, but I am in over my head. I spent several
hours looking at the results of before and after rebuilds:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/
Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -dump

and could not really determine what was happening.

  I am now using QLColorCode.qlgenerator plugin which is now set up to
import org.tug.tex and color code the Quick Look. (QLColorCode has
also now switched to "highlight") So when I shut down, there is no
trouble with .tex files when I start up,
but .aux, .cls, .toc, .bbl, .sty won't open in Quick Look even though
I have all the Tags in the TeXShop Info.plist. (They become
"dynamically" defined.) When I rebuild the Launch Service data base
they all open in quicklook (not color coded, but that is fine) however
the .css files which were fine before the rebuild now change to
dynamic and only the CSS icon appears. I have hacked this by
including .css as a tag in TeXShop and after a rebuild it is picked up
by QLColorCode.qlgenerator.

It is such a pleasure to just go down a directory and quickly look at
the .eps, .tex, .toc, .ind, .bbl, .html, .css files etc. just by
hitting the space bar.

One more interesting note. When I rebuild with MacPilot nothing
changes and  I don't get Quick Look capability, but when I rebuild
with Cocktail I do regain Quick Look.

As I said, I am in way over my head. Now back to LaTeX and Indexing
the book. Thanks.

Take care, Tom Rike