[OS X TeX] Using LaTeX in Word?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Dec 18 07:55:31 CET 2007

Le 17 déc. 07 à 23:03, Jung-Tsung Shen a écrit :

> Is there something on the Mac side similar to the following program
> for Windows users that enables the use of LaTeX in Word?
>
> http://elevatorlady.ca/
>
> The above program, among other things, provides auto-numbering.

There's OOoLaTeX <http://ooolatex.sourceforge.net/>, but:

- It's for OpenOffice, not Microsoft Office.

- It doesn't seem to provide auto-numbering, only insertion of
mathematical symbols and equations as pictures (with LaTeX code stored
as comments within the pictures, so that this code remains available
for future editing).

Two more things:

- Should the person you're asking this for consider OpenOffice, then
for the moment a nicer user experience is provided by the Java-based
NeoOffice port <http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php> (which
uses the Aqua windowing system) than by the native OS X port <http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/x11.html
Aqua windowing system is in the works <http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/aqua.html
 >, but it's not ready yet.

- According to what I read here and there, Microsoft Office 2007 on
Windows offers similar functionality to LaTeX for equations. With
Office 2008 for the Mac announced in January (if I'm not mistaken),
maybe the same functionality will be brought to the Mac soon. To be
confirmed of course: I'm no MS Office user on either Windows or Mac
myself, so I'm only guessing.

And one final thing: all of OpenOffice, NeoOffice, OOoLaTeX and
LaTeXiT are free. (Regarding LaTeXiT, the latest version 1.14.4
crashes on Leopard and you've got to use version 1.14.3 then.)

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin