[OS X TeX] line breaks \n vs. \r ???

Andrew Miller ajmiller at psu.edu
Mon Dec 17 23:30:52 CET 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 3:45 PM, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> Am 17.12.2007 um 21:12 schrieb Charilaos Skiadas:

>>> Right, that's exactly the problem! As I need to perform the same
>>> regex search/replace actions sometimes with TextWrangler,
>>> sometimes with TeXShop I need to have the same syntax, i.e. line-
>>> ending syntax.
>>>
>>> Just, how do I gap the distance between TS's UNIX and TW's Mac
>>> format ?
>>>

>> I have to say I don't see why you feel the need to be able to do
>> the same thing in two different systems. Why have the two systems
>> then? Presumably you need both because there are some thing one can
>> do that the other can't, but in that case you could consider this
>> as one of those things. But I guess I don't have any idea what your
>> workflow is like.
>> In any case, doesn't Aaron's suggestion of using (\r(\n)?|\n) work?
>> I would expect that to work in both systems.
>

> Why should someone start to rewrite his collection of regexp search/
> replace-strings when there is still a little hope that he can
> continue using them with the other program? Honestly, I really hoped
> that someone just says »right, you can also set this option there«.
> I didn't expect the applications to be so ... narrow-minded ;o)

BBEdit and Text Wrangler internally represent all line breaks with \r
(Carriage Returns) probably because of their Classic Mac heritage.
Having written a Language Module plug-in for BBEdit, I've had to use
\r to match line endings as well. Maybe you should contact BareBones
with a feature request to optionally match \n for line breaks. My
guess is that BBEdit just passes it's internal representation of the
file to whatever regular expressions engine it uses without converting
it back to it's native file format.

BareBones should probably also change the label "Use Grep" in the
"Find & Replace" dialog to "Use Regular Expressions" since the unix
grep command returns whole lines containing the pattern, and not
selections matching the pattern.

-- Andrew