[OS X TeX] Multiple indexes with TeXShop

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Sun Dec 16 02:15:33 CET 2007

Le 16 déc. 07 à 01:49, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

> On Dec 15, 2007, at 5:19 PM, André Bellaïche wrote:

>> Thanks, but pdflatexmk doesn't seem to be compatible with the
>> index package by David M. Jones, and this one is the only one I
>> know which can deal easily with multiple indexes  as Index of
>> people, Index of conceps, Index of notations...
>>
>> André
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Well, instead of having multiple .ind and .idx files with varying
> file names, like the multind and amsmidx packages, it looks like
> the index package takes the same tack as the glossary, and its
> successor, the glossaries packages by using user defined
> extensions. There is no way that latexmk can figure out what
> processing to do without some help (as with the other packages I
> mentioned). You could define extra dependencies similar to what is
> in the pdflatexmkrc file found in ~/Library/TeXShop/bin/ for the
> glossary and glossaries packages. Let me know if you want to pursue
> this further; I'll try to help out as much as possible.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

Thank you, and thanks to George.

After having tried unsuccessfully to avoid it, I shall use index.sty
with command line. This is not so hard.

Actually, my concern was how to teach to use command line to a
colleague who has never typed a single command line in all his life.
But, with the mac, you can easily make up a sequence of 5 or 6
command lines that you only have to copy (in one stroke of command-V)
into the Terminal. Something as

cd <TeX file's directory>
makeindex -o < indfile> -t <logfile>  <idxfile>
                         [as many times as there are indexes]
cd <back home>

This does the job. It is not even necessary to make up a shell script.

But it would be nice in the future to have this feature included in
TeXShop.

Have a good night,

André