[OS X TeX] metapost, metapost and eps

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 29 21:03:14 CEST 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 20:48, Bruce Kellogg wrote:

>>> Alternately, can I produce .eps versions of my metapost
>>> figures that could be used by my colleagues?
>>>
>> Yes.
>> Joe
>
> How?

mptopdf will create pdf files for (stand-alone) use with pdf(la)tex.

adding prologues := 2 ; to the top of your metapost file, and
renaming the metapost output to file.eps may be enough to get them to
work as normal eps files. Of course if they are used with tex +
dvips, there is no need to do this, and the files can be used as is.
Note that there will be no preview, so inclusion in Word is tricky.

You can use ghostscript to translate the pdf from mptopdf into eps
and replace the fonts with their outlines to obtain maximum
compatibility (but not the best on-screen results. Google for gs -
DNOCACHE for instructions.

Best,

Maarten