[OS X TeX] new editor OcTeX.app

stephenmoye at cox.net stephenmoye at cox.net
Tue Aug 28 16:57:04 CEST 2007

---- William Adams <will.adams at frycomm.com> wrote:
> Available here:
>
> http://www.octet.se/downloads.jsp
>
> Looks interesting, but has some strange bugs (I get two Help menus)
>
> William
>

> --
> William Adams
> senior graphic designer
> Fry Communications

It does indeed look promising -- I like the split window with code on one side and typeset copy on the other. I can think of some people here at work who would respond very well to the Symbols window. I was also pleased to see that the program also knew about the MacTeX installation. But...

So far, it is extremely buggy. Using the Build>Build Command Editor is useless. Even though the Preferences show that OcTeX knows to look in /usr/texbin for latex, running it from the Build menu gives an error message saying that it can't find latex. Using '/usr/texbin/latex in the Command Editor gives another error message. Multiple attempts to use this function lead to the program quitting.

Still, I am looking forward to future versions of this program.

Stephen Moye