[OS X TeX] Tables

Nathan Paxton napaxton at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 21 00:32:06 CEST 2007

	Here's what I went with.

	I downloaded NeoOffice and used the Calc2latex macro, which Linux
version works rather nicely, actually. It only took slightly longer
to do than it would have in a spreadsheet (it takes the macro a bit
of time to work on a fairly complex table).

	I should have been clearer in the beginning that what i wanted was
to avoid handcoding every aspect of the table in my text editor, as
this makes the whole process take forever (for me, at least). My mind
works nicely in tables but not in low-level code.

	The Excel2latex macro seems to have disappeared from easy discovery
on the interweb.

	Ah, now to set the regression tables! Whoo-hoo!

Best,
-Nathan
On 20 Aug 2007, at 6:01 PM, Alan Munn wrote:

> At 11:40 PM +0200 8/20/07, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>> Am 20.08.2007 um 20:26 schrieb Nathan Paxton:
>>
>>> And perhaps I need a column added later on.
>>
>> You can use a regular expression. The cells are separated by ``&´´
>> characters. So it's easy to insert another `` &´´ after n ``&´´
>> have occurred ... Changing header and footer is simple manual work.
>>
>> The regular expression describes that a line starts with a set of
>> characters of which none is an ampersand. Then an ampersand
>> follows. This repeats n times. This description is then replaced
>> by itself plus an additional `` &´´. Something like ^\([^&]+&[^&]+&
>> [^&]+&[^&]+&\) => \1 & or ^\(\([^&]+&\)\{n\}\) => \1 &.
>
> These regular expressions seem to have too many \'s in them.  I
> think you meant
>
> ^([^&]+&){n}  (where n is the column number after which you want
> the insertion.)
>
> The only problem with this is that in TeXShop (because of the
> OgreFind kit, I assume) there persists a bug in which the ^
> denoting beginning of line doesn't actually work, so such regular
> expressions don't actually work as intended even though they will
> in another editor.
>
> Frankly, I'd stick with Excel if the data is to be constantly
> changing.   Even without a plugin it's not very hard to add the
> relevant formatting to your Excel cells and then just cut and paste.
>
> Alan
>
> --
> Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
> Department of Linguistics
> and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.
> +1-517-432-2736
> Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824      Tel.
> +1-517-355-7491

----------
Nathan A. Paxton
Ph.D. Candidate
Dept. of Government, Harvard University

Resident Tutor
John Winthrop House, Harvard University

napaxton AT fas DOT harvard DOT edu
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~napaxton
When you have to stay eight years away from California, you live in a
perpetual state of homesickness.
         - Ronald Reagan

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself.  Aloud.
         -Coco Chanel