[OS X TeX] Textures (Universal binary) is now in beta

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Aug 16 12:16:23 CEST 2007

Le 16 août 07 à 10:34, Ralph Martin a écrit :

> For me, it crashed almost immediately on startup.

This looks like Textures isn't finding what it needs during its
initialization phase.

Only help I can offer here is a picture of my setup. It contains
additional files compared with the standard, related with MathTime
and Lucida fonts. Here we are:

- Fonts in FFIL and LWFN format in /Library/Fonts/Textures/. This is
where you put the contents of the Computer Modern folder on the disk
image Textures220b.dmg.

- Input files in /Library/Application Support/Textures/Inputs/. This
can be the TeX Inputs folder from a former Classic Textures
installation, or the folder available at <http://www.bluesky.com/
download/Inputs.zip>.

- Metrics files in /Library/Application Support/Textures/Metrics/. I
think the metrics for all Computer Modern fonts are included within
the Textures application already, in Textures.app/Contents/Resources/
Metrics/:

AMS/PS Metrics
AMS/VF metrics
NFSS metrics
TeX Metrics

TeX Metrics are the metrics for the CM fonts; AMS/PS Metrics the
metrics for the AMS fonts in sizes 5, 7 and 10; AMS/VF metrics the
(virtual) metrics for additional sizes 6, 8 and 9; and NFSS metrics
the metrics for the LaserWriter 35 fonts (Times, Helvetica, Courier,
Symbol, etc.) in the PSNFSS package.

The folder /Library/Application Support/Textures/Metrics/ is where
you can put additional metrics. This can be the TeX Fonts folder from
a Classic Textures installation, in my case:

AMS/PS Metrics
AMS/PS Virtual Metrics
CM/PS Metrics
LW SmallCaps VF Metrics
LucidaBright Mac Metrics
LucidaBrightExpert Mac Metrics
LucidaExpertMath Metrics
MathTime Metrics
SliTeX Metrics
TeX Fonts readme
XY/PS Metrics
chicago metrics
monaco metrics
psfonts/adobe metrics
psfonts/bh Metrics

Obviously there is some redundancy with the built-in four metrics
suitcases, I'll need to clean up a bit at some point.

- Format files in /Library/Application Support/Textures/Formats/.
That's where you could recompile the personal formats from the TeX
Formats of a former Classic Textures installation, if any. I'm not
sure that formats compiled with Classic Textures would work directly.

Personally I also put documentation files, namely the 3 threes
directories

Getting started...
Textures User Guide
Useful Files

from the Classic Textures CD in /Library/Documentation/Textures/, but
that shouldn't affect in any way the operation of Textures.

Of course, in any of the above you can replace /Library by ~/Library.
I just happen to prefer to install things system-wide whenever possible.

Something peculiar to my setup is that I had installed all the
successive alpha versions of OS X Textures already, but I don't think
that may affect the working of the beta version.

Hope this works,

Bruno Voisin