[OS X TeX] pdflatex.fmt format file missing

Robert Morelli morelli at flux.utah.edu
Thu Aug 9 05:55:06 CEST 2007

Martin Costabel wrote:
> Peter Dyballa wrote:
>>
>> Am 08.08.2007 um 07:36 schrieb Robert Morelli:
>>
>>> [robert at marconi Course] pdflatex Numbers.tex
>>> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
>>> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt
>>> fmtutil: format `pdflatex' not available.
>>> I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!
>>
>> Fink's teTeX probably provides fmtutil and fmtutil-sys, too.
>
> Yes, this is fmtutil complaining about not finding a file named
> 'pdflatex.ini', after being invoked from pdfetex complaining about not
> finding the 'pdflatex.fmt' file.
>
> Most probably neither the ini nor the fmt file are missing, just not
> being found.
A systemwide search reveals that pdflatex.fmt is missing, but
pdflatex.ini is present in directory
/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/config/pdflatex.ini

> I would first run
>
>   texhash
>   sudo texhash
>
> so that all file lists that are being used for tex's file searching
> get updated. This often solves this kind of problems.

No effect.

What's puzzling me most about this situation is that no one else is
aware of it. I was under the impression that
tetex was a pretty standard tex distribution for OS X and that pdflatex
was a pretty commonplace use of a
tex system. Am I wrong, or is tex just not used that much on OS X?