[OS X TeX] Counters, Random Numbers and Exam.cls

Matthew Inglis mavanatapattu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 13:33:07 CEST 2007

On 8/6/07, Ross Moore <ross at ics.mq.edu.au> wrote:

> But I really don't understand what you are trying to do.
> Why do you need different counters for each instance of the
> document?

Exam.cls (or examdesign.cls) does multiple passes of the file for the
same document, so wanted to generate different counters for each pass.
But you're right, it is much more sensible to change the seed each
time. By default the seed gets reset to file-time+line-number on each
pass; so picking a pseudorandom seed and putting it in a counter that
doesn't get cleared at the end of the pass through the file solves the
issue.

Thanks for your help!

Matthew