[OS X TeX] Spell checker

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Apr 30 11:56:31 CEST 2007

Am 30.04.2007 um 01:27 schrieb George Gratzer:

> As you an imagine, my book has infinitely many \ref and \index
> commands.
>
> In Filters, I choose TeX/LaTeX. \ref{} is already listed, so I add

Did you write \index{}?

> The first index command is
>
> \index{pcs@\pc{}s}
>
> pcs gets selected.
>
> Next is [...]

Could be I had similar encounters that I dropped aspell!

I am not sure whether the aspell process in the background was ever
restarted or whether it simply continued to run after a change in the
preference pane. In the latter case some mechanism would need to
exist that resets aspell's behaviour, teaches it the change. It might
be worth to log off and in again after a change of preference
settings. Or, if your own working environment is a bit complicated,
create a second, simple, account, allow it to modify your book, and
then experiment with aspell in this account to find out whether a
real restart of aspell makes it learn the additions.

A command like

	top -l 1 | grep -i spell

would show which "spell" processes are running. Top makes no
distinction who is owning the process, it reports /that/ there's
something running. For me for example:

	  395 AppleSpell   0.0%  0:22.60   1    70    46  2.11M  2.01M
3.51M  39.3M

The first number is the unique process id (pid), the next string is
the process' name, in my example Apple's default buggy spell checker.
Using this simple command would show whether the pid of aspell
changes when preference settings change or when the user logs off and
in again. Maybe quitting SystemPreferences does a job like logging
off and in again ...

Finally Anton Leuski can be asked. And you could write another
chapter about LaTeX aware spell checkers ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but
they've always worked for me."
                                           -- Hunter S. Thompson