[OS X TeX] OT: looking for a public-domain EPS file editor

Chris Goedde cgoedde at condor.depaul.edu
Wed Apr 25 22:30:00 CEST 2007

On Apr 25, 2007, at 2:37 PM, I wrote:

> The problem is the line:
>
> initmatrix
>
> in the original file. The redbook says the following: "There are
> few situations in which a PostScript language program should
> execute initmatrix explicitly. A page description that executes
> initmatrix usually produces incorrect results if it is embedded
> within another, composite page."
>
> If I comment out that line (i.e. put a % at the front), then run
>
> gs -sDEVICE=bbox -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH bulle-orig.eps
>
> ghostscript gives me the right bounding box. If I then paste that
> bounding box into bulle-orig.eps in place of the existing bounding
> box, then
>
> epstopdf bulle-orig.eps
>
> produces a correctly cropped figure.

Actually, it's simpler than that. All you have to do is comment out
(or remove) the 'initmatrix' line and then epstopdf will produce a
correct pdf file.

Probably the reason that Illustrator works is because it's smart
enough to just ignore the initmatrix command altogether when it reads
in eps files.

--
Chris Goedde