[OS X TeX] embedding fonts

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Apr 24 11:01:00 CEST 2007

Le 24 avr. 07 à 10:41, Daniel Becker a écrit :

> Am 23.04.2007 um 14:43 schrieb Peter Dyballa:
>
>>> How do I tell it to embed all the fonts in PDF?
>>>
>>> I vaguely remember, when I installed pdftex, there was an option
>>> during the installation. How do I change it now?
>>
>> You cannot make pdfTeX not to embed any PS or TT font. There is
>> only an option not to download a standard set of 14 PS fonts,
>> Times, Helvetica, Courier, Symbol, and ZapfDingbats, I think:
>>
>> 	sudo updmap-sys --setoption pdftexDownloadBase14=false
>
> doesn't embedding all fonts that one needs to set
> pdftexDownloadBase14 (for pdftex) to "true"?

AFAIK the default for pdfTeX, dvips and dvipdfm is to embed subsets
of all fonts in a document, except for the 35 LaserWriter fonts which
by default are not embedded. Meaning:

Avant Garde (Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic)
Bookman (Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic)
Courier (Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic)
Helvetica (Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic)
Helvetica Narrow (Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic)
New Century Schoolbook (Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic)
Palatino (Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic)
Symbol
Times (Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic)
Zapf Chancery
Zapf Dingbats

>> Anyway, you can invoke i-Installer to take the "Configure Only"
>> route and change the setting there.
>
> One cannot go this way if using mactex/texlive .... unfortunately

With gwTeX and i-Installer, in Expert mode at least, you can run the
Configure stage of the gwTeX i-Package and select inclusion of the 35
LaserWriter fonts (the default choice being again not to include them).

With TeXLive-2007 and MacTeX, you have to do the work manually:

sudo -H updmap-sys --setoption dvipsDownloadBase35 true
sudo -H updmap-sys --setoption pdftexDownloadBase14 true
sudo -H updmap-sys --setoption dvipdfmDownloadBase14 true

In my experience executing the first instruction takes care of the
other two as well, though I never saw this documented.

Why the 35 fonts for dvips become 14 for pdfTeX and dvipdfm is a
mystery to me.

Hope this helps,

Bruno