[OS X TeX] TeXShop and Lilypond

Michael Millett mjmm60 at excite.com
Sun Apr 22 04:24:24 CEST 2007

Howdy,

> You may have done this before but... can you give us the complete
> contents of the Lilypond-LaTeX.engine file. Are you sure you made it
> executable? (i.e., in Terminal
>
> cd ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/
> chmod 755 Lilypond-LaTeX.engine

Yes, I had done that, but I then did it again. :-)
Sorry to say: same result :-(

> should do the job. I assume the .engine file is in
> ~/Library/TexShop/Engines/; if it's not put it there.

Yes, it's there.

Here is the contents of the Engine file:

#/bin/tcsh -f
# Updated on 2006/10/17 - Thanks to Marc Schonbrun!
#
##########################
# HOW TO USE THIS FILE:  #
##########################
#
# 0) Set the variable LILYPONDFOLDER below to the absolute path
#    of the folder containing the Lilypond application.
#    For example, if you have put the Lilypond app in a folder
#    called Music inside the Applications folder, the path
#    is /Applications/Music and the line below must read
#
#       set LILYPONDFOLDER = /Applications/Music
#
#    If Lilypond is installed in the Applications folder,
#    then just skip this step.
#
set LILYPONDFOLDER = /Desktop
set path = ($path $LILYPONDFOLDER/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/)

#
# 1) Rename this file by dropping the .txt suffix
#    and put it into your Library/TeXShop/Engines folder.
#
# 2) Run the Terminal application (which you find in the Utilities folder)
#    and, in the Terminal window, type:
#
#       cd  ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines
#
#    then, press the Enter key and type:
#
#       chmod +x Lilypond-LaTeX.engine
#
#    and press Enter again. The above command makes this script executable.
#
# 3) Switch to TeXShop, open a LaTeX file with Lilypond code,
#    choose the Lilypond-LaTeX engine and typeset!
#
#######
# HINT
#######
#
# Write:
#
#    %!TEX TS-program = Lilypond-LaTeX
#
# at the very beginning of your document: this will let TeXShop
# automatically switch to the right engine!
#
#######
# NOTE about including pictures with \includegraphics:
#######
#
# you may want to include the following in the preamble of your
# source file:
#
#    \usepackage{graphicx}
#    \graphicspath{{../}}
#
# since the generated LaTeX file is put into a subdirectory
# of the current directory.
#
# In general, if your directory structure is as follows
#
#   MyLilyPondDocs/
#   MyLilyPondDocs/lilybook.lytex
#   MyLilyPondDocs/MyPictures/
#   MyLilyPondDocs/MyPictures/pic1.eps
#   ...
#   MyLilyPondDocs/MyPictures/picn.eps
#
#   the preamble of lilybook.lytex should contain:
#
#    \graphicspath{{../MyPictures/}}
#
# The trailing slash "/" is required!
#

# Create directory to put all temporary stuff
mkdir -p "$1:r"-out/
# Copy local style files, if any, where latex will be able to find them
cp *.sty "$1:r"-out
if ({ lilypond-book --output="$1:r"-out --psfonts "$1" }) then
  cd "$1:r"-out
  if ({ latex "$1" }) then
    if ({ dvips -o -Ppdf -R0 -h "$1:r".psfonts "$1:r".dvi }) then
      if ({ ps2pdf "$1:r".ps }) then
        mv "$1:r".pdf ..
      endif
    endif