[OS X TeX] Hoefler and Swashes question

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Apr 21 11:28:51 CEST 2007

On 21 Apr 2007, at 3:21 am, Joe Chan wrote:

>> The original poster's instructions do work with XeLaTeX, that's the
>> way things have to be done when fontspec isn't used.
>>
>> For example, here's what I'd been using before I thought fontspec
>> stable enough to start experimenting with it:
>
> [snip]
>
>> \renewcommand{\encodingdefault}{U}
>> \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{hoeftxt}
>
> Ahh, so these are the two commands that I'm missing. If I add them
> to the preamble of my sample doc, it works.

Yes, it will; but this means you're basically ignoring the wonders
(and convenience) of Will's fontspec package and setting up fonts
"manually" instead. I'd recommend getting rid of all this stuff and
using fontspec features to do what you want, as Herb suggested:

>> I use
>>
>> \usepackage{fontspec,xunicode,xltxtra}
>> \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
>> \setromanfont[Scale=1.05,ItalicFeatures={Contextuals=
>> {NoLineFinal,NoLineInitial}}]{Hoefler Text}
>>
>> and it gets rid of the swashes in italic.

(Fontspec will use "EU1" as the default encoding, not "U" -- that was
an interim approach people were using in the early days of xelatex.
But you shouldn't need to do anything about that in your document;
Herb's declarations are all it takes now.)

JK