[OS X TeX] Hoefler and Swashes question

Joe Chan firstian at rcn.com
Fri Apr 20 05:17:42 CEST 2007

This is another newbie email about the stupid swashes that comes with
Hoefler italic. After searching the list archive, I found a promising
lead that uses \DeclareFontShape. However, it doesn't seem to work
for me. I'm using XeTeX 0.996. A small sample to illustrate my
problem is below.

\documentclass[12pt]{article}

\usepackage{fontspec,xltxtra,xunicode}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Hoefler Text}

\DeclareFontFamily{U}{HoeflerText}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{HoeflerText}{m}{it}
         {<-> "Hoefler\space Text\space Italic:Smart\space Swashes=!
Line\space Final\space Swashes,!Line\space Initial\space Swashes"}{}

\begin{document}
\emph{wt}
\end{document}

After I build the PDF using xelatex directly on the command line, I
can still see the swash of the 'w' and 't'.

I also played with the XeTeX FontSample.tex and manage to control the
swashes. However, that seems to be a raw TeX sample, and the above
example seems to agree with the obvious translation between the two
(mainly add all the \space).

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks,

Joe Chan