e: [OS X TeX] utf8 problem and one TeXShop bug

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Apr 19 14:40:22 CEST 2007

On Apr 18, 2007, at 8:49 PM, Chabot Denis wrote:

> ... iso Latin 1 can handle my text just fine. In fact the above
> example compiles fine when encoding is iso latin 1. My pdf output
> did not make it to the list, you can see the file here instead:
> http://207.134.209.235:88/temp/test2_latin.pdf
>
> I don't see any character in this text that should provoke an
> error. This example came from a 100 page report that compiled fine
> when encoding was iso Latin 1. It still compile fine if I remove
> this small table. I don't see what is special about this table.
>
> For now I'll keep this document in iso Latin 1, it is just more
> confusing when some of my files are in one encoding and others are
> in another. With R and Sweave (which allow me to combine R commands
> within a LaTeX document), I need UTF8 and I thought I'd standardize
> on this. I guess I can't do this until I understand better what
> fails with my example.
>
> Denis

Howdy,

If I open a new document in TeXShop, add the two lines

%%!TEX TS-program = pdflatex
%%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

and then copy and paste the document with the table you supply in
your original post I get an identical table to your pdf file. You
might have to do a Save As... after changing the encoding.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)