[OS X TeX] Creating a dvi file

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Apr 16 15:41:52 CEST 2007

Le 16 avr. 07 à 14:42, Christian Burk a écrit :

> I typeset my documents using TeXShops LaTeX-engine with Pdftex,
> because I use some png, jpg and pdf files to include these in my work.
>
> Is there a way to get an additional dvi file?

With pdfTeX, no. pdfTeX creates directly PDF output from a TeX
source, without resorting to a DVI file in between.

But you've got dvipdfm(x), producing PDF output from a DVI file and
avoiding the DVI -> dvips -> PS -> ps2pdf -> PDF route. According to
the doc dvipdfm.pdf, all three of PDF, JPEG and PNG images can be
included, and there are corresponding definition files dvipdfm.def
and dvipdfmx.def for the graphics package. It is possible, though,
that you have to create a .bb file (containing bounding box
information) for each image first; I just haven't tried.

Next task is to make TeXShop use dvipdfm(x). Some time ago Jin-Hwan
Cho, one of the developers of dvipdfmx <http://project.ktug.or.kr/
dvipdfmx/>, announced on this list <http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-
archives/2007-February/028575.html> a modified version simpdftex_dpmx
of the script simpdftex, replacing the call of dvips + ps2pdf by one
of dvipdfmx. The script is available at <http://project.ktug.or.kr/
dvipdfmx/contrib/bin/simpdftex-dpmx>.

Some work needs to be done for installing, I think:

- Download the script and put it in your path (for example where your
other TeX executables are, or simply in ~/bin).

- Make it executable (using chmod).

- Modifies TeXShop's pref Engine > TeX + dvips + Distiller, replacing
simpdftex by simpdftex_dpmx.

It's possible other steps need to be taken as well. Again, I haven't
tried.

Hope this helps, though.

Bruno Voisin