[OS X TeX] Emacs <-> TexShop

M A markoilcan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 16:58:35 CEST 2007

On 4/7/07, Roussanka Loukanova <rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se> wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Apr 2007, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> > Am 07.04.2007 um 12:18 schrieb Roussanka Loukanova:
> >
> >> The default View of the dvi/pdf output, following the command latex
> >> from within Emacs, is with TeXShop (via the default command "open %o" from
> >> AUCTeX/Emacs). Apparently, this runs each time the sequence dvips->pdf
> >> (dvips + distiller), even in the presence of a pdf file; and, may be as a
> >> consequence, TeXShop doesn't show the updated pdf file unless re-opened,
> >> but then, doesn't re-open on the last viewed page.
> >
> > So create a simview command that tells the viewer application to use the
> > non-default PDF output file!  Or make your simpdftex command open the right
> > file for display!
>
> This is my question paraphrased in two (unclear to me) imperative versions
> :-)

Frankly, I don't really understand the problem, perhaps because I
don't use Texshop either as a dvi or pdf viewer (or in any other
capacity), so I'm hesitant to reply, but it seems like you keep asking
this question over and over.  It seems like the solution is to either
1) don't use Texshop as a dvi viewer, or 2) don't use "open %o" as the
dvi view command. For option 1) to work you need to use something else
as a dvi viewer, either xdvi or Texniscope come to mind, but there is
also some shareware dvi viewer that at least used to be available (I
never used it so I can't vouch for its functionality). For option 2)
create a script called, say, texshop4emacs which takes a dvi file name
as an argument and executes dvipdfm (dvips followed by ps2pdf or
whatever if you feel the need to go through postscript) and then "open
$pdffilename" on the result. Call this script as the View command in
AucTex. Texshop then is just being used as a pdf viewer. Or is there
some reason why this second option doesn't work?

Mark A