[OS X TeX] Emacs <-> TexShop

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Sat Apr 7 12:18:03 CEST 2007

Hi everybody,

I'm figuring out a way to say Chestit Velikden & Happy Easter:

Carbon Emacs <-> TeXShop/Preview interactions are very fine, i.e.,
almost, except the problem that Axel and myself discussed. A review of the
problem and a temporary solution:

The default View of the dvi/pdf output, following the command latex
from within Emacs, is with TeXShop (via the default command "open %o" from
AUCTeX/Emacs). Apparently, this runs each time the sequence dvips->pdf
(dvips + distiller), even in the presence of a pdf file; and, may be as a
consequence, TeXShop doesn't show the updated pdf file unless re-opened,
but then, doesn't re-open on the last viewed page.  (All this is fine with
pdflatex command.)

I'm solving this, similarly to Alex, but by creating additional
AUCTeX/Emacs commands for simpdftex and Preview. Thus, for dvips
dependencies, I run the external commands simpdftex -> Preview (very
easily indeed, from the minibuffer's command line). This is somewhat
frustrating to me, since I would  like to get TeXShop displaying the
right pdf file in the proper way.

It would be very nice if someone knows how to fix this Emacs <-> TeXShop
interaction: my guess is for some (Emacs/View-in-TeXShop) script in the
spirit:

"after latex do
     if there is (newer) pdf, (re)display it,
     otherwise dvi -> dvips -> pdf & dispaly it".

But I think that the *default* latex -> View-in-TeXShop should be in the
proper way.

Chestit Velikden!
Happy Easter!

Roussanka