[OS X TeX] Problem installing MiKTeX Package Manager on Tiger

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Tue Apr 3 18:34:51 CEST 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at 08:47 , Jeffrey Rolland wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, since it deals
> with UNIX install issues, but, if anyone gives me a pointer for a
> better place to post, I will take their advice.

There are better lists, e.g., the unix-porting list hosted by Apple
(see <http://lists.apple.com>).  Your question deals more with
programming than TeX.

> I have an iBook G3 900MHz running OS 10.4.9. I have teTeX installed
> using the iInstaller and I generally use TeXShop for my front end.
[snip]
> /usr/bin/libtool: for architecture: cputype (16777234) cpusubtype
> (0) file: -lSystem is not an object file (not allowed in a library)

I may be misreading this, but on the surface, it appears that you are
trying to build for a 64-bit platform (and not a PowerPC-based
system).  In any case, the proximate problem is that (for unclear
reasons) the build system seems to want to target a processor
architecture for which you don't have complete support (that's the
import of the libtool complaint).

That is exceeding strange.  Is MikTeX supposed to build on Unix-like
systems?

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large