[OS X TeX] \ifpdf in TeX4ht?

Eitan Gurari gurari at cse.ohio-state.edu
Sun Apr 1 08:25:36 CEST 2007

 > The DVI file seems to be OK, I can see it in xdvi, but I can't see
 > the EPS (only the PS) picture, just the frame xdvi draws! So there
 > might be a mistake somewhere, could be some documentation or someone
 > gives an insight. In gv I can see both the EPS and PS versions of the
 > picture.
 >
 > Pic	xdvi			HTML	comments
 > EPS	frame+faulty text	blank	convert fails: geometry does not contain
 > image `zzFile.ps'.*
 > PS	picture+faulty text	picture	OK
 > PNG	frame+faulty text	symbol	gs fails
 > TIFF	frame+faulty text	symbol	gs fails
 > JPEG	frame+faulty text	symbol	gs fails
 > GIF	frame+faulty text	symbol	gs fails

The `geometry does not contain image' message tells that the bounding
box of the page does not contain a visible content.  I was able to get
the message for a PS file and get proper showing for an EPS file.

 > * When the \includegraphics* statement contains a [<bbox>] option,
 > the upper 80% of the picture are clipped off
 >
 > The behaviour in TeX Live 2007 is consistently the same. The error
 > seems to come from File.idv.

The file File.idv should be just a regular dvi file, with one picture
per page.  Its content can be reviewed by renaming the file to
foo.dvi. Each picture in File.idv should come from a File.dvi page,
with the non-pictorial content of the page being cleaned away.

 > > If I understand correctly the outcome, then the problem seems to be in
 > > part of the picture being displayed beyond the page boundaries. -eitan
 >
 > No, the upper part of the picture is cut off. Remember: I can view
 > the picture (not its code) in GNU Emacs! But it comes, see above,
 > from faulty use of \includegraphics*[height=80mm,bb=<bbox>]{File}.

I'm confused.  Can I get the picture Image.foo that shows fine in gv
when the attached file is compiled with `latex + dvips' and fails to
be processed under tex4ht.

-eitan

        \documentclass[a4paper,11pt]{article}
            \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
            \usepackage[portrait,nohead]{geometry}
            \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.ps,.eps,.gif,.png,.jpeg}
        \begin{document}
        \setlength{\unitlength}{1mm}
        \begin{picture}(70,70)
          \put(100,18){\includegraphics*[height=80mm,bb=0 0 328 406]{Image}}
        \end{picture}
        \end{document}