[OS X TeX] Re: OT: Printer Just Died!

david craig dac at panix.com
Sat Sep 30 07:07:21 CEST 2006

FWIW, as I've been eyeing my 13-year-old HP LaserJet 4ML chug slowly
away into the sunset, I've kept my eye on the printers that folks whose
needs line up pretty well with my own seem happy with.  (Source include
groups like mac-l, iomug, oztex, this list, and so on.)

*MY* needs are a B&W postscript laser printer with minimum 600 dpi
resolution, ethernet-networkable, preferably built-in duplex.

I've been strongly inclined toward replacing the HP with an HP, since
mine and the numerous others I've worked with in professional
environments have seemed near invulnerable in high-volume printing
environments.  However, as far as I can tell from the above-mentioned
sources, HP quality control went through a rocky patch a few years ago,
and I really don't know whether it has recovered to its former
greatness.  I admit I've read enough grousing that I've become wary of
consumer HP lasers. I *DO* know that in a couple of years worth of
watching [that 4ML just wouldn't die!], while other printers have
received positive reviews, the one name that has come up over and over
again with overwhelmingly positive reviews among users with similar
needs to mine has been Brother.  So much so that when my little 4ML
*finally* kicked up its litte rollers this past weekend, when I walked
into the store and saw a Brother 5250DN sitting there I didn't hesitate
to pick it up and walk to the register. 1200 dpi, 30 ppm, built-in
duplex, built-in ethernet and USB ports, 32 MB built-in [upgradeable to
544], postscript [emulated, but I've not found that to be an issue with
anyone I've asked] -- all for a little over $200.

Of course, I can't yet speak to the reliability issue based on any
personal experience.  Time will tell...

David Craig

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>