[OS X TeX] latex from an xterm window cannot find a .sty file

John B. Thoo jthoo at yccd.edu
Wed Sep 27 04:45:19 CEST 2006

Hi.  I hope this is not off-topic.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.3.9 and tetex installed using Fink (version
0.7.2.rsync).

I have a file "interitemtext.sty" in

    /sw/share/texmf-local/interitemtext/interitemtext.sty

I've run "sudo texhash", yet, with  \usepackage[]{interitemtext},  when
I run "latex" from an xterm window, I get the error

! LaTeX Error: File `interitemtext.sty' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: sty)

Enter file name:

But when I process the same source file using OzTeX 5.2 Aug 2004, I get
no error.

What am I doing wrong with "latex" from an xterm window?

TIA.

---John.