[OS X TeX] Re: encoding and special characters in TexShop and BibDesk

Gordon Sick sick at ucalgary.ca
Mon Sep 25 07:45:14 CEST 2006

Adam and Pete,
Thanks for your help. Further comments and queries below:

On 24-Sep-06, at 6:00 PM, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List wrote:

> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] encoding and special characters in TexShop
> and BibDesk
> From: "Adam R. Maxwell" <amaxwell at mac.com>
> Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 09:44:15 -0700
>

> On Sep 24, 2006, at 09:20, Gordon Sick wrote:
>
>> I've been watching with interest the discussion of encoding accented
>> characters. I write in English, but many important papers I cite
>> have authors whose names have accents. I'd like to know how to get
>> this done properly.
>>
>> But for me, the bigger issue is in the sorting and searching for
>> their papers. For example, if I file a paper in BibDesk with the
>> name S¿dal, then it isn't found when I search for Sodal, etc. Is
>> there a way to make the standard search engines broaden a search so
>> that searching for Sodal always includes S¿dal, etc?
>
> This is an interesting example.  BibDesk transforms characters when
> searching, so that if you have a name "BŸrger" you can search for it
> as "bu" and match "BŸrger" and "Burt" (for example); however,
> searching for "bŸ" explicitly will require the accent.
>
> Our diacritic-insensitive searching doesn't work for ¿, though, and
> I'm not sure if there's a built-in solution for it.  Other search
> mechanisms may have a similar problem.  Where are you sorting, and
> what are you using to search?
I'm just using Bibdesk for sorting and searching.

>> If I can do this in BibDesk, that is put in the name S¿dal for the
>> paper, what encoding commands to I need to get this translated to
>> something that Latex won't choke on? I use cmr and Lucida fonts.
>
> This is a different question; if you use character conversion in
> BibDesk, it will convert Ÿ to {\"u}, which is an ASCII representation
> that any TeX will understand.  You could also disable character
> conversion and use UTF-8 with xelatex, or Latin1 with the appropriate
> inputenc package command.  The main thing is that you should use the
> same encoding for your .bib file and your .tex file.
OK, I've turned off character conversion in BibDesk. Since I use the
Y&Y Lucida, I've got in my preambles of my Latex files:

\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[expert,altbullet]{lucidabr}

Does that mean that I'm using the LY1 font encoding? I switched one
of my Latex files to
\usepackage[Latin1]{fontenc}
but Tex complained that the package fontenc couldn't find the file
latin1enc.def
Now, I'm in over my head without further help.

> hth,
> Adam

> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] encoding and special characters in TexShop
> and BibDesk
> From: "Peter Dyballa" <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE>
> Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 00:14:39 +0200
>

> Am 24.09.2006 um 18:20 schrieb Gordon Sick:
>
>> I write in English, but many important papers I cite have authors
>> whose names have accents.
>
> I have no recommendation for the bibliography, but in case you create
> your documents with pdfTeX the LaTeX statement
>
> 	\usepackage{cmap}
>
> helps to make the PDF output with accented characters searchable in
> PDF viewers by mapping the well-known characters to the TeX
> constructs.
I tried this and it doesn't make my Latex compilation choke. But, I'm
not sure if it is working because the documentation speaks of teh
font encodings T1, T2A, T2B, T2C and T5, while I think I'm using LY1
for my Lucida. It then tells me to create a file LY1.cmap, assuming
that LY1 is my encoding. But, I don't know what to put in that file.

> You probably know of
>
> 	\usepackage{textcomp}
>
> to use accented characters from the same font the other text is set
> with?
I gather this package is already in Latex2e. Once again, the
documentation refers to fints like Times and Baskerville. Do you know
if it works with the Y&Y Lucida fonts, or do I have to do more work?

> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete
>
> åÈåÀæ½€±í£ ƒúsnqƒÆ æ½,uƒÆƒä noæÚ ƒÄ€±í£