[OS X TeX] Building new formats (MacTeX) (another error correction)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed Sep 20 08:52:13 CEST 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 01:13 , Peter Dyballa wrote:

>>> kpsewhich -progname=pdftex language.dat
>
> This returns to me: /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/
> config/language.dat
>
> Is my teTeX system faulty? Or is it due to LaTeX beta and other
> *EXPERIMENTAL* software?

Neither.

A pristine install starts out with the active language.dat in
texmf.gwtex. The first time that language.dat is adapted (e.g. by
"texconfig --edit" or by the TeX i-Package's configure phase) it is
copied to texmf.local.

In my answer to Rowland I misread texmf.gwtex for texmf.local as it
is very rare that people have not run a configure on language.dat
(and thus created the one in texmf.local)

There is no language.dat in the LaTeX Updater.