[OS X TeX] Re: Editors: Advantages and disadvantages

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 18:25:30 CEST 2006

Marcus Michalsky wrote:

> What should i tell you about speed :-( Well, it works ;-)
> In my opinion it is very fair. I dont remember so precisely, but i
> think it was faster than 20 seconds.
> I don't know exactly, but if you make includes and only change one of
> them, the compiler only works on this file then ?

For what it's worth:

    I am running TeXShop 1.43 under 10.3.9 on a 1GHz Power PC G4.
    The part of the Magnum Opus I am currently working on includes 10
    chapters  for a total of 209 pages, probably a hundred or more
    (small) pddf figure.

It typesets in about 30 seconds which is fine by me since the
alternative is about $2000.

But, indeed, if you make a change in one chapter, TeXShop goes through
the whole thing which is why I usually typeset each chapter as needed.
The way I do it is having a main file, e.g. Book.tex with just the
include chapters e.g.

    \include{../EDITchap/2}

each of which starts with:

    %!TEX root = ../PRINTchap/2.tex

while the file PRINTchap/2 has only

    \include{../EDITchap/2}

so that if click on either EDITchap/2 or PRINTchap/2 just that chapter
gets typeset while if I click on Book.tex the whole book gets typeset.

Regards
--schremmer